Monday, February 8, 2010

Mice

If you know me, you know I detest mice. I hate them, I'm afraid of them, I cringe at the thought of them.

A couple days ago, Dawn's dog, Lucy, was digging in the back yard. Anne and a friend were in the back yard, encouraging the dog as she dug a big hole. When Lucy dug up a mouse nest and started running off with mice in her mouth, Anne's encouragement changed to horror. Somehow she got Lucy to stop running and put the mice down. Anne quickly decided she had to rescue the mice. She put a bucket over them and ran inside to tell me she had rescued two mice. Great. Nice. Gross. I personally would have been fine with the dog killing them.

Anne started begging me to let her keep the mice. In the house. Not happening. Thankfully, Eric completely backed me on this. Anne found a plastic bin in the shed and decided it was the perfect mouse house. She put dirt in the bottom, took a couple old kitchen towels I had, filled a cup with sunflower seeds, filled a lid with water, placed some boards on the top of the bin. There you go! A mouse house. Since it's cold and snowing here, I figured they would die pretty quickly. No chance. They are still living. The girls have to check on them every couple of hours. "Mommy, it's WARM in their house!" "Mommy, when we go check on them they poke their cute noses out!"

Apparently one of the mice was injured when Lucy was carrying it in her mouth. It cannot use it's back legs! Anne thinks it's legs are broken. I'm guessing it has a broken back. Since I'm unwilling to even look at the mice, no chance of me picking it up to examine it. And the girls aren't allowed to pick them up either (they used a shovel to pick them up and move them around). Anne thinks we should take the mouse to the vet. Fat chance of that happening! Besides, the vet would put the thing out of it's misery pretty quickly.

I think this means we have two new pets. The girls have named them Prince Martin and Matthias. Okey dokey. Whatever works. As long as they stay outside and I never have to look at them, fine with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my biggest fear is mice! You're brave for even knowing that there are mice outside. YIKES!

stopped by via The Pioneer woman.