Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Driven

I have never been one of those driven types. Not even a goal oriented person. A goal? Isn't that something you make in sports. I don't even play team sports. My senior year of high school we had some book to fill out with pictures, quotes and memories. One thing asked what your goal was in life. My response? "To have fun." Yep. That was my goal. I do remember when I was a kid wanting to have a ranch filled with quarter horses, a large house and a building with lots of windows and only a piano inside. I think you call that a fantasy, not a goal. I have never known what I want to be when I grow up. Still don't! Most of the time now my goal is survival. Just make it through the day. And my prayer is that I will enjoy my kids. Yep, still want to just have fun.

Please explain to me how I ended up with my oldest daughter. She's 11. She knows what she wants to be when she grows up and is working towards that goal. Seriously! For a few years now she has said she wants to be a missionary nurse. Now it's even more specific than that. She wants to be a missionary nurse in Botswana with the Herero tribe. Ok. What? And she wants to be a wildlife photographer as her hobby. So now she wants to learn the language they speak in Botswana. Thankfully their primary language is English. But that's not good enough for her! She wants to know what language the Herero people speak. Well, they speak Herero. Thankfully for her she has connections to Wycliffe Bible Translator people (her grandparents). They just happen to know a guy who just came back from Botswana. Not sure if he speaks Herero. She also is doubling up on school work so that she can graduate early and finish college early.

My head is spinning. Did I mention she works out with us too? Can we all say DRIVEN? She knows what she wants and is working towards it. At 11. I'm a bit older than that and I can barely tell you what I want to accomplish in a day, much less for my life. She also knows more about raising kids than I did when I had kids.

She also doesn't like chocolate. If it weren't for the fact that our children are all clones of each other I would seriously question if she had been switched at the hospital. :-)

Now, she is just like her Daddy. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be the name. Our dd named the same is driven to the max-- and she is half your daughter's age. She scares me sometimes. We have to remind her to go play. "Can I do more math? Can I do typing? Can I read another chapter? Can I, Can I?????" Go PLAY! That is what 6 year olds do. Isn't it fun, this parenting thing? Marie

RaneeMc said...

You may want to check out CLEP testing, Tonya. She can get college credit at any age, bank it until she's older, and be half done before she even starts...

lifebythehandful said...

I wished we lived closer so she could rub off on my slackers! (and me too.)