What did you want to be when you grew up? Lately I've talked to a few young ladies (17-20 years old) and they just want to be a wife and mother. (I don't mean "just" in a bad way, meaning that is all they want.) I've also spoken to a couple wives and mothers and that is what they wanted growing up. You know what I wanted? Horses, cats, lots of land, a large building with a grand piano in it. Obviously I wanted to have money, I think I planned on marrying someone who would pay for all of it. :-) I don't ever remember dreaming of having children! I did NOT want to have a wedding, even begged Old Man to elope with me. He refused and we had a wedding. Sometimes I still complain about that. I guess I'm surprised when I talk to a young lady and hear her say that is what she wants! :-) It's awesome!
Recently I've had frequent times of prayer asking God why He chose this life for me. I didn't want it, didn't plan for it, feel completely inadequate at this job. I actually enjoyed working! I liked going to work, doing a good job, keeping busy, using my brain, feeling organized and responsible, accomplishing something and then going home. When I mentioned this to my mom recently, she said that maybe God had me be in a job I couldn't feel proud about! Hmmm, leave it to my Mom to speak the truth in love to me. :-)
A couple nights ago, we read the verse about when we are weak, God's strength is shown in us. AND that we should rejoice in our weaknesses! Rejoice? How about complain, grumble, fight against them, dislike them, envy others? So I am going to try and rejoice in the fact that God has chosen a job for me that I stink at. :-) That way when people see me and ask "how do you do it?" I can truthfully answer that it is only by God's strength, grace and mercy that I can do anything that He has given me to do.
So, what DID you want to do when you grew up? Are you doing it now?
5 comments:
I wanted to be a farmer and I wanted eight children. All I know is that I'm glad He chooses His plans instead of mine. I don't think I could handle mucking stalls and toilet training at the same time. Some days I feel as if fecal matter is too big a part of my life, I couldn't imagine adding a huge herd of livestock. :)
Oh Tonya, I think you are way better at it than you realize. Seriously. It's just not the sort of job that has anywhere near instantaneous results. I hear ya, though!!
I wanted to be a mom and work in medicine. Yes, I'm doing both, though differently than I imagined. I've certainly been a student for far longer than I pictured it...and now planning to go back for more...
I believe I underestimated HOW MUCH I would love my children and want to spend all my time with them, and thus CARE far less what my work life/career looked like, you know? I used to be competitive and want to be very good at my job, but after I had kids I didn't care anymore if I was the best, just so long as I did moderately well in the hours I was at work. It matters far more that I'm good/trying to get better at being a parent.
I did also want a farm. Unfortunately, land is expensive. I didn't account for that!!!
I am doing what I wanted to do, although I'd prefer to being doing it on a farm ;-) And even though it is what I dreamed of, I'm not what I dreamed I'd be--you know, all perfect and loving and stuff.
This is a great post. Nothing like a little humility.
I wanted to be a mom to lots!!! I thank God every day that I get to do what I always wanted...especially with my amazing husband who balances me out!!!
+JMJ+
Tonya, It sounds like you don't realize that you ARE doing everything on your list!! Except the going home part. I have met your children and you ARE doing a good job with them. They are bright and well behaved. Well on their way to being resposible adults who love the Lord! When you get old and gray, like me, you will be proud of them!!
Post a Comment