We are just coming out of "birthday season" at our house. We have 3 kids birthdays in a month between February and March. Our other birthday season is in September, with 2 kids birthdays in that month. Last night we celebrated David's 3rd birthday with my sister and her family and a friend of ours from junior high - yep, WAY back. We hadn't seen her in probably 25 years! My sister brought over her dog, Jess. As you might remember, we just got a dog, Lucy. They have been a little iffy with each other, but not too bad. We were keeping them outside, mainly because it was too crazy with all the people AND two dogs in the living room. The kids had a blast playing outside, digging in the dirt and playing tag. We brought them all in for David to open presents. None of us even really noticed the dogs were in too until they started a HUGE fight. Right in the living room. HUGE. I have never, in my entire life, seen dogs fight like this. I'm sure it only lasted a few seconds, but it seemed like forever. I was sitting in the rocking chair, nursing Little Bit, so not much I could do! My sister reached in to try and grab a dog collar and ended up with puncture wounds in her hand. Finally Old Man and my sister's Old Man :-) were able to pull the dogs apart. The kids seemed unfazed, except for Dawn, who was horribly upset at the way her dad took the dog out of the house - she thought he was going to kill her and was angry (he wasn't, he just had to force an adrenaline hyped up dog out of the house).
I, on the other hand, am still sick about it. My stomach hurt immediately. I woke up before 5 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I just could NOT stop thinking about it and still can't today! Why were we so stupid as to let the dogs in? What were we thinking? What if one of the kids had been hurt? Which dog started it? Do we need to be worried that our new dog is a problem? Are my kids safe? Are other dogs safe? Worry, worry, worry. I finally got up at 5:30 and read and prayed. Truthfully, we've seen not one hint of aggression in Lucy, unless Jess is around. So is it just her and Jess that are a problem? Anyone want to volunteer their dog for us to find out? NO.
Memories. We will NEVER forget David's 3rd birthday. Ever.
2 comments:
My stomach hurts just reading that! I can't believe the kids weren't completely freaked out.
I never had you pegged for a dog fighter. Do you have roosters in the backyard too? j/k I too would have been beside myself, I have never been able to handle a dog fight (while growing up our dogs ran loose as did all of the neighbors). I would cry, scream, and generally want to throw up. Praise God the little ones weren't hurt and that your husbands were there to get them apart.
Post a Comment