Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Update

Thank you for your prayers! Little Bit woke up this morning with a temp of 100.3 - that's the lowest it has been after 4 hours of medications in a few days. Praise God the antibiotics are working (actually, I think it has more to do with prayer). I'll give more details of my day yesterday. :-)

When Little Bit woke up yesterday, her temp was 102. She'd had Motrin only 4 hours before! So, as I was getting her ready to go to the doctor, I tried to give her some Tylenol. Well, she puked all over me after the first drop! Not a good sign. Old Man called and told me to not go anywhere - a bit of a blizzard going on. So I decided to just go to the acute care clinic 5 minutes from my house vs the pediatrician 25 minutes from my house! Since I was only going a few minutes away and thought I'd only be gone an hour max, I left the 2 older girls home to get chores done and school started. Well, I was gone 2-1/2 hours and hadn't written out my entire cell phone number. Poor Dawn tried to call me 4 times to ask about math. Thankfully Daddy called and chatted with her and I called in between the doctor and getting the prescription filled. While we were at the doctor, we were sitting there, just waiting for her to pee. She was bagged, so we were watching and waiting. I looked at the boys and said, "boys, let's pray that she pees quickly." They prayed and 2 minutes later she peed! I love it when we can show our children that our prayers are answered. Even little prayers like "help Little Bit pee!"

We got home and attempted to give her a dose of antibiotics. First drop in her mouth, gag, puke - everywhere. I'm sitting in a chair, covered in vomit, tring to figure out what to do next. Do I get up, clean us all off and then attempt the antibiotics (knowing this was going to be a messy thing anyway?). I decided to sit there, all gross, and finish the antibiotic. At one point, Dawn comes up wanting to show me something. "Mom, look at the recipes Anne and I made!" Umm, Dawn, LOOK at me. I mean LOOK at me. She looked at me, her eyes got huge and she made some comment about how gross this was. I just told her I would have to look at the recipe later. :-) I tried to get the antibiotics in Little Bit, but didn't feel very successful - lots of it she drooled out.

Next dose, right before bed, I decided to have Old Man hold her while I dosed her. We went real slow, real careful, tried to make sure it all got in her little mouth. It went GREAT! Until the very last little bit. Put it in her mouth, she gagged and puked all over Old Man. I just have to say that I got puked on TWICE and didn't utter a single curse word. Not Old Man. :-) He didn't appreciate being vomited on at all. Seriously, ladies, what is his problem? :-)

My point of all this is to say that I'm not sure she got a huge amount of antibiotics in her yesterday and yet she is obviously much better today. Thank God! Now I have an appointment scheduled for next week and we will have to get some testing done to see why she had a UTI at such a young age.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonya,
so sorry to hear of all the sickness. I am glad you are having some relief. Keep us posted on her UTI issue.
Hugs,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Tonya,
so sorry to hear of all the sickness. I am glad you are having some relief. Keep us posted on her UTI issue.
Hugs,
Andrea

Tricia said...

Your SIL S. told me about all of this. Bless your heart and Little Bit's!

My Eve was terrible at taking meds for YEARS! It always took two people, one to hold her down and the other to give her the meds. Once she was eating or drinking something other than breast milk, I would slip it in some apple sauce. She loved that. (as long as she didn't know there were meds in there!)

I know Little Bit is young, but maybe you could try giving it to her in a spoon with some apple sauce or something?

I'll pray for you and for Little Bit!

lifebythehandful said...

You poor thing, I will continue praying for you and the baby.
I'll pray for Old Man too - hopefully the stomach acid didn't burn his skin too much. :)

melissa v. said...

xo, everyone i know is nasty sick it seems. but little bit has it the worst :( praying!