Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Random Thoughts

First, thanks for the encouraging words yesterday. And, to set the record straight, I also have a pile of clean laundry on my couch - not folded. It's been there for 3 days now. And, Melissa, please come hang out with me for a week so you can see I am SO NOT perfect. Not anywhere close. :-) But glad I fooled you at one point! :-)

I had a long chat with Old Man last night about my frustrations with schooling one of my children. It has been a constant battle to motivate this one for a while now. I won't get into the whole thing, but let's just say that with 5 kids, I cannot spend 3 hours waiting for one to finish math (while she wants me next to her, holding her hand). She is smart. Stinking smart. More than capable and I cannot afford 3 hours for MATH! Hello, we have many other subjects to cover, clothes to clean and fold, floors that are filthy, kids who want to eat, bums that need to be wiped, etc. I had to admit to him that I am going to have to be more scheduled. Now, for some of you, you're thinking "DUH!?!" But you have to understand that to me, schedule is a curse word. Every time I write out a schedule, I fail at it. FAIL. Another curse word. I'm a perfectionist. Some people work very hard if they are perfectionists. Me, I just don't do something if I'm no good at it (unless forced to). See, that way I never fail! :-) Convenient. Too bad it isn't working anymore. I'm going nuts here. I actually cried when I admitted to Old Man that I'm going to have to be more, gulp, scheduled.

The main point of all this is to share with you the e-mail my dear, sweet husband sent to me today. You will see why I adore him when you read this:

"I know what you mean about failing. You WILL fail when you put together a schedule and goals. I make lists and goals constantly – and constantly fail. We need to get past the notion that failure in and of itself is bad. The point is, when we fail in the context of our schedule and goals, we fail in the direction of meeting those goals – even if we never get there. For us, we just need to make sure that as a family we are failing in the direction of the Lord (v. the world) and that we do it together.

Don’t be afraid to write it down or fail.

Hebrews 12:1-3

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I love you!"

Isn't he great!!!!!! So, now you can pray that I am willing to fail at the schedule thing. Because I will.

On another note, anyone have a clue how to get a 5 year old boy to keep his hands out of his pants? And then out of his mouth? GROSS.

5 comments:

Maurisa said...

Tonya,

What a beautiful note from your hub. He is sooooo right!

lifebythehandful said...

I am the same way about schedules, I try and succeed for two days and then I'm frustrated, tired, and I quit. Thank Eric for the encouragement - I too needed it.
BTW, "Heiny Hands" are a problem around these parts. Yet another reason I am so baffled by Keely's eating habits - obviously butt tastes better than my cooking. They will outgrow it...or be really disgusting adults.

Halfmoon Girl said...

What an awesome guy! I so know that overwhelming feeling. It simply is very hard to homeschool with little ones- to have time for them, and give as much time as we would like to our older students too. Even when one writes up a schedule, which I found eased some pressure, even if I didn't always follow it, then everyone enters a new stage of development and the schedule needs to be revised again! Maybe instead of looking at it as failing, you could look at it as a process- always needing revision!

About the hand in the pants- I use gentle reminders, but mostly I think that it is simply waiting till they outgrow it. I have a funny story regarding my 3 year old, but I don't think I should tell it here...

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Hi Tonya,
Just thought I would stop over and say hello. Thanks for commenting on my blog recently. Oh, I love this verse from Hebrews, one of my favorite books! My son is only two and hasn't explored the pants yet so I don't have any advice for you! Blessings, Jen

Anonymous said...

Ha, my 4 year old did that for a while, then just stopped! I would just not make a big deal and remind him to stop. But, I basically ignored it and tried not to think about it!

Your hubby is awesome and has SUCH an eternal perspective on things. Thank God for him, girl:o)

Andrea