Monday, February 11, 2008

News

All right, some of you know this already, but I'm finally willing to broadcast this. I guess.

Remember a while back I mentioned we supposedly prevent pregnancy and are not quiverful mentality people? So, here's the long version of that comment. We planned to get pregnant with daughter #1. Pregnancy #2 was very unplanned and I miscarried. Pregnancy #3 was planned and resulted in daughter #2. Pregnancy #4 was very unplanned and I miscarried again. Pregnancy #5 was sort of planned, yet we were still surprised and resulted in son #1. Pregnancy #6 was not planned AT ALL and shocked us both and resulted in son #2. Are you getting the picture here? Pregnancy #7 - yep, pregnant again - I'm 9 weeks along, totally unplanned. Looks like we won't miscarry, if nausea around the clock and extreme exhaustion are any clue. So, 7 pregnancies, 2 really planned, one sort of planned and 4 not planned at all - well, yes God plans them all.

So, there it is! I'm a little shocked at the thought of 5 kids. I was very content with 1! :-) Then the unplanned pregnancy and miscarriage and I figured 2 would be nice. Then another unplanned and miscarriage and we just didn't decide what to do and had #3. It had taken us months after the first miscarriage to get pregnant again, so I just (foolishly) thought it would take months again. Not so! Needless to say, I never wanted a large family, never set out to have a large family and here we are. I also never wanted to homeschool. Isn't it amazing what God can change in us? Well, I'm still not convinced about the large family thing, but I know I'll be fine eventually.

7 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

Congratulations!!! I was so very excited when Bob told me!! Of course, I know what you mean about the shock and surprise--you can go back and read my blog posts from September 2006 when I found out we were expecting #6, and #5 was only 5 months old!! I know this baby will be just the right person to add to your family and cause all of you to grow closer to the Lord.

I never wanted to homeschool either! I did want a big family, but to me that meant 4 kids, since I didn't personally know of anyone with more kids than that, LOL. It is amazing how God works in us and changes us.

P.S. I did see your tag, but I haven't gotten around to finding a book--the one closest to me is "Baby's First Picture Book", and it tops out at p. 10, with no sentences, LOL. A grown-up person's book . . . hmmm, where can I find one of those? LOL!!

Halfmoon Girl said...

Congratulations! My thoughts are that once you hit 4, it is just the more the merrier- fitting in vehicles can be difficult though, from what my friend tells me. That is wonderful news. I pray for healthy pregnancy for you.

Tricia said...

Congrats Tonya!

I will be praying God will give you waht you need to parent 4 kids and be pregnant.

And then that He will give you what you need to parent 5.

You are going to need a bigger car. May I suggest a 12 passanger van? :o)

Anonymous said...

Please tell Eric we said Congratulations! I didn't really get a chance to tell you the other day. I will pray that you have a peaceful pregnancy! That visit to FL keeps getting farther away! :)

Rebekah

melissa v. said...

xo to you! I was wondering how you were feeling; now i guess I know. My nausea is just letting up now (13 wks). Hope it settles down for you soon. You don't need a new vehicle quite yet, until you have another, right? There is room for five kids and two parents in your van. Barely, but enough. If we came to visit you NOW we would need to rent a car and caravan everywhere! I often think of that Trader Joe's we went to with you...I sure wish we had that store here!
Another visit sure would be nice, wouldn't it?
Anyways, congrats and I'm glad you're still pg.

Bob and Claire said...

Tonya, I have to comment on the car situation. We had a Honda Odyssey, which was fine for kids 1-5 (although it got a bit crowded after #5, LOL). But after I got pregnant with Grace, we bought an 8 seat Toyota Sienna. It is so wonderful! All the kids fit, and we still fit in all the tiny parking places and parking garages in the D.C. metro area! So if you do want to upgrade (and have room for even another child, LOL), then get a Sienna! We bought ours at the CarMax in Laurel--brand-new, a great price, and a totally hassle-free experience.

Tonya said...

We currently have a 2001 Toyota Sienna - 7 seats. Eric's car is in desperate need of upgrading (he's driving the same Jeep Cherokee he had when I met him - he puts 110 miles every time he commutes to Virginia!). So, the debate is about what car he should get. Should he just get a commuter car and upgrade the van in a couple years? We hate to go into debt for a car, so that doesn't seem realistic. Do we get a new car for the family and give him the older minivan? So, you can see we have to make a decision. Which, when it comes to spending large amounts of money, take us forever!