What do you do to relieve stress? When I had kidney stones, I thought I did a great job of handling it, but a week later my physical body screamed at me that it had had enough stress. I was shaking, tired and just shot! My chiropractor told me my adrenals were spent and I needed to take extra vitamins and try to help my body heal from the physical trauma. I cut out coffee and sugar for a few days (about all I could handle without coffee). But I can't figure out what to do to help me "burn off" my stress.
When I was younger (high school? junior high?), I played the piano to get rid of my stress. Whatever my mood of the day, that was the music I played. If a funeral march was playing, you better watch out! :-) I don't play much anymore and it usually just puts me in a bad mood when I do play. (Nothing like recognizing that your piano skills topped out at about the age of 15.)
I took up running at some point as a young adult. I know, gag, for most of you. But I loved it. 30 minutes of running could fix any mood for me. It gave me time to think about stuff, or to just focus on breathing and NOT think about stuff. Sometimes I would put music on and let that adjust my mood. BUT, after 5 kids, running isn't an option right now. Nothing like peeing your pants while running to put you in a BAD mood quickly. Lately I dream about running. Not asleep dreaming, but day dreaming. I'll imagine how good it would feel to get on my running shoes (which Dawn now wears, need a new pair) and just go for a hard run. The disappointment I feel when I let reality speak to me.
So what am I to do? Walking might be ok. I don't love just walking. Too slow for me. :-) I always feel a little frustrated with it. I suppose I could put good praise music or listen to a sermon or something to help me deal with stress. Help me out here? Any good suggestions?
7 comments:
Try very brisk walking with heavy hands and music. Just getting out,away from the chaos is a stress reliever. You need to do something!
Tonya try hiking without kids! You control how fast or slow you want to go. The environment is also important. Just being out in nature (no cars, buildings or people around) When I m in the woods hiking by myself it is just so peaceful to me.
Tonya the last anonymous comment was from me. I don' t know why Tyler's e mail address showed up, probably because its a google account.
Teresa
I paint. Or take pictures (faster than painting). Or eat (hah, doesn't help that lb thing). Or go to movies. Or crochet. Or read.
Could you swim? I did that when pregnant and it was really good cardio and felt great, with no impact so maybe better for the peeing the pants thing. Peeing my pants is the big joke of mine at Boot Camp. Some exercises I just can't do without a flood in my pants. A bit of pee here and there is no big deal, but when it's visible and smellable and feelable on my exercise pants, I'm just not a fan! But I yell when I'm doing my least favourite exercises that they're gonna make me pee and that it is all my instructor's fault. It is good for a laugh.
My mom had surgery to fix her pee problem. Maybe you could look into it? I plan to, once I'm sure I'm done (one more, just one more....I'm pretty sure....).
It's summer you will be all sweaty anyway, just go ahead and pee, carry a water bottle to rinse off a bit with.
Heck during races I TRY to pee whil running so I don't have to stop and waste time.
Have you tried Kegals? This exercise might control the pee.
I do kegels like crazy. Still no luck. Probably would be worse without them!!
Post a Comment