Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book Recommendations Needed

Anne's 8th birthday is on Valentine's Day. She is an avid reader and wants some new books for her birthday. Lately, she's been reading (and rereading) Judy Moody books. She would love more Judy Moody books. The problem is that I don't really like Judy Moody books. They just seem like a waste of time. So, any recommendations on better reads for her? We have all the Little House books and Anne of Green Gable books. She CAN read them, but chooses to read shorter, easier books for fun. Her preference is short chapters. We have some Magic Tree House books (which she reads and likes). Any ideas?

9 comments:

RaneeMc said...

The Chronicles of Narnia? Hank the Cowdog? Misty of Chincoteague?

Tricia said...

OH, Oh, Oh! Here’s me raising my hand. This is right up my alley.
Here are a few that have been really big hits in this house.

Milly Molly Mandy books

Betsy and Tacy books

All of a Kind Family

Owls in the Family

The Moffits

Baby Island

All the Roald Dahl books (the Twits were highly enjoyed, but we skipped The Witches)

Half Magic (this was a BIG HIT and I’m usually a ‘magic’ book kinda girl)

The Doll People series

The series that starts with The Anybodies.

The Captive (Ann is reading this now. I had to read the first two chapters with her to get her ‘into it’ but now she’s hooked) this is the beginning of a series.

There are of course the classics like The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Understood Betsy, etc.

That’s all that popped into my head for now. I’ll ad more if I think of them.

Tricia said...

Half Magic (this was a BIG HIT and I’m usually a ‘magic’ book kinda girl)

I meant to say I'm NOT usually a magic kinda girl.

Sorry.

Maurisa said...

My girls love The Moffats and The Borrowers. Oh the Miss Piggle Wiggle books are gave too and very silly.

Maurisa said...

I meant great not gave. I'm typing on my phone outside of ballet is my typo excuse :-)

Anonymous said...

Here I am reading your blog and writing down the book ideas. What a great blog! Ani loves to read and has the same issues as your #1. So I am sure she will love these.
dawn

Anonymous said...

make that your #2 Anne. (: Nobody can type a thought without having to correct it on here. Mind numbing stuff you write Tonya. (:
dawn

melissa v. said...

Ramona Quimby books? I loved those! There is even a 'Ramona Quimby, Age 8' title.

melissa v. said...

How about Little Women? I read that when I was eight.