Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Must Read

If you want a good laugh, please go read my friend's blog, Life by the Handful. Go. Read. Now.

3 comments:

Maurisa said...

Tonya, Read your comment on my blog and seeing how you were desperate I asked another very experienced homeschool mom and "educator" for some help. Here is her advice.

Have you ever read Charlotte Mason's approach to educating children? Her are some of her recommendations:

Break the lessons into smaller parts having her do fact practice first for only 10 minutes and without too much writing (I'll get into that more) Later in the day have her do the problems related to the new lesson for the day, but once again she should only work for 10 or 15 minutes. This may mean picking and choosing only a few problems from the lesson a day. Obviously this may slow you down and you may not make it as far in math as you had wanted, but this is not about getting through her year's math work. It is about educating her at her pace and doing it in a peaceful, non-threatening, no cry zone, environment (remember why you are homeschooling).

My experienced friend mentioned your little one's difficulty may be that she has spatial dysplasia, preventing her from processing things from her brain onto paper. Use lots of flash cards, role play, manipulatives, computer games, etc.; anything that will keep her from having to write fact practice answers down.

Hope that helps!

Miss you!

lifebythehandful said...

Thanks for the link, although now I've posted a new entry so your friends may wonder what the heck you are talking about. No "rip" roaring humor involved. Sorry. I also appreciate the probiotics suggestion, I'm guessing I have to do something. I've been giving him Gas X if he thinks it could be "one of those days".

Anonymous said...

Hey Tonya,
I am just catching up on your blog....I missed a lot! Your link I read was way too funny....and boy could I relate! It is nice to remind myself that even while knowing God is in charge of all this and while seeking JOY in the midst of it, it is okay to admit I have bad days, too! I will say hi on your face book and see what else you are up to.

ANdrea