I was out running some errands yesterday and realized (very quickly) that not bringing a bottle of water was a huge mistake. Now, normally not having water with me isn't an issue. Not a reason to stress. But, given my current state, drinking water is critical to my well being and my baby's well being. I thought, no big deal, I'll just pick up a bottle of water at Target. I finish my shopping at Target - NO water in the refrigerated section up front. I still had to pick the kids up from the pool, so I debated what to do now. At first I thought I would be fine, but as soon as I went outside, I knew I needed to get some water. I decided to just go to McDonald's and purchase a bottle of water and ask for a large cup of ice. Of course, there was a family ahead of me and they took their sweet time deciding what they wanted, and the lady behind the counter wasn't paying attention and took a few minutes to figure out that a line had formed. At this point, a couple of men had also come in and were standing off to the side a little. The family orders their food and I am sweetly waiting, very patiently. Then, the MEN went up to the counter. At this point, I'm a little irritated, just feeling like it was pretty rude for a couple of men to cut in front of an obviously pregnant woman. But, again, not a big deal. I'm fine. Finally, my turn. I ask for a bottle of water and a cup of ice. She hands me a cup that would hold NOTHING. I said, "Can I get a bigger cup? I'm very thirsty and would like a large cup of ice." She looks at me with absolute confusion on her face. Then, the manager steps up, "You have to pay for a larger cup - same as a 16 ounce drink." WHAT? "Ummm, I just want a cup of ice to go with my water." All the time I'm thinking "can't they see I'm very pregnant?" I wanted to ask them if they wanted me to go into premature labor, but decided that would be rude. So I said fine. Gave her 2 dollars and waited for my change. She gets out my change, shuts the drawer, drops a quarter on the floor, looks for 2 seconds and tells me I will have to wait for me 25 cents. At this point, I started boiling. I grabbed the water bottle said, "Thanks, but just forget it." And I left the store. I get to my car and start crying. Why can't someone be nice to a pregnant woman? What is wrong with the people here? Put me in a funk for a couple of hours.
Yes, I'm emotionally a wreck. I'm crying over water, ice and a quarter.
6 comments:
xoxoxoxoxoxxo
I've SO had this thought. Do people not NOTICE or do they just not CARE that you're pregnant? Seriously. Paying full price for a 16 oz pop cup with ice in it is f*ing ridiculous, if you ask me. I'd complain about that one. I think you can even log customer complaints online (I've done it before with Starbucks and they sent me coupons and an apology). There is NO WAY that customer relations at McDs would prefer you NOT to have a glass with ice. My 2 cents.
You're not emotionally unstable: the world is full of assholes.
:-D
p.s. of course, I'm on the pregnant side of the fence, so I may be a tiny bit irrational myself.
(((Tonya))), I so understand! That was very mean; I can't believe they made you pay for a cup. Good grief.
I'm sure this whole experience will forever be imprinted in your memory. I can remember when I was pretty far along with my first, and I had to fill out some forward mail form or something at the poast office, and somehow I totally screwed it up by putting the wrong address on the line. I was sorry, but the clerk was SUCH a jerk, really making me feel like an idiot who was wasting his time on purpose! I was practically in tears, and I clearly remembering thinking, "WHY can't he give me a break?! I am obviously PREGNANT!!" And since I am writing about it over 11 years later, it has obviously stuck with me deeply, LOL. He was probably one of those disgruntled postal workers--I should probably be glad he didn't shoot me, LOL. But I thought mean thoughts about him for many years.
Hope today is better!! : )
My pregnancy breakdown happened at a KFC/Long John Silvers. They accused me of already getting my order of shrimp when I realized they had forgotten to put it on the tray. Well, they might as well have called me a liar, with three kids in tow and an uncomfortably large belly I lost it in the restaurant. They too had to call a manager, but I got my shrimp. When we drive past that place my kids refer to it as, "the place where mom cried".
-erica
Oh, Tonya. You make me laugh SO hard--I'm sure you look JUST FINE; terribly nice, but surrounded by a wall of chattering kids, and thus people don't say much!
Lol you're hilarious.
I'd talk to you in a store if I saw you, and this is what I'd say;
"Wow, you are such a beautiful woman! And look at what a wonderful job you are doing raising and teaching those gorgeous children of yours! Keep up the good work!!"
Tonya,
I can't believe you've had a blog this long and didn't tell me! I do think this will be a great way of keeping in touch.
See what I mean, blogging is a great form of therapy? Don't you feel better letting the world know McDonalds is run by a bunch of communists.
I'll be praying for you on your move!
Blessings!!
Post a Comment