Monday, April 28, 2008

The Reunion

Well, we made it to Old Man's reunion. And it was definitely interesting. I was trying to figure out how to tell about it and really haven't come up with something creative, so I'll just tell things chronologically.

We left Friday around noon. Got stuck in traffic, of course. Poor Old Man - he drives this awful route to work - 55 miles one way around DC - and hates it with a passion. Nothing like starting out a vacation with your most hated commute!! We arrived at the hotel around 5. The first event was a dinner at a country club. Just my thing! :-) The whole weekend we heard, "Is this your first baby?" "Nope, our fifth." "Oh! God Bless You." WHAT is up with that response? Almost everyone said that. One person I know was introducing me to another lady and told her that I was expecting my fifth and I homeschool, "She's a superhero mom." Really? Don't you want to BE like a superhero? If that's the case you all better start getting busy having more babies, quit your job and start homeschooling your kids. I think what she meant to say was, "This woman is NUTS!"

Highlights???, maybe memorable events is a better explanation, from Friday night - sitting across the table from a woman with a new set of head lights and watching her n*pple pop out of her dress; having a woman argue with me that my eye color cannot be hazel, they are blue; listening to the guys tell hilarious stories from college.

Saturday we had pictures at the college at 9:30 and then wandered around there. Nap at the hotel and then Old Man and I - just the two of us, NICE - went into town and walked around. We ate a late lunch in an empty restaurant while it poured rain - very very nice. We even got to wander around an antique mall, something we used to love to do but have given up since we have all these people with us who love to touch things. That evening we had a barbecue at a picnic pavilion. Again, just my thing - hamburgers, hot dogs, iceberg lettuce salad, etc. Oh, another night to watch 40+ year old men get smashing drunk. It poured rain, so we were thankful for such a large pavilion, but it was extremely loud under there! After the picnic, Old Man and I went to a restaurant so I could eat something before trying to sleep!

Memorable events - watching 40+ year old men (and some women) do a beer bong. Really? A beer bong. Nice to know that our leaders in the military can still be soooo stinking stupid. At what point do we grow up? Explain this to me. Chainsaw and Ranee, you're on the spot here - I have a feeling you've seen more of this than I have (please don't tell me you've participated, I don't want to know, it will lower my opinion of you greatly - unless you were 20 at the time).

The big highlight of Sunday was getting a phone call at 7:45 from my neighbor (you know something is wrong when your neighbor calls you and you're out of town). She puts Dawn on the phone and Dawn tells me that Grandma has thrown up all night and can't walk. Fortunately those neighbors are wonderful and willingly took my 4 kids and my niece to their house for the morning. They played Wii and watched a movie and did crafts. We, obviously, left the hotel rather quickly so were home by noon.

Back to reality! :-) And trust me, this has been a Monday. Tired Mommy, tired kids, recuperating Grandma. Grumpy, irritated people running all over my house. Did I mention it's raining and I can't kick anyone outside? And Old Man will be home late? And we still don't have the stinking waiver in hand?

Patience, trust, joy - all lacking here today.

8 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Wow, the cleavage story was quite something. Alcohol certainly can lower maturity levels, can't it! Being the sober one can be really tedious once people are past the point of making sense. Reunions are famous for that. Glad you got some time with just you and hubby. You are not nuts for having 5 kids, don't believe it! You are doing a very, very important job even on days like today when nothing seems to be going smoothly. I am having one of those too!

Tricia said...

I heard the neighbor story from S. I couldn't wait to here your version if it!

Your POOR Mom! She must have felt REALLY bad to send all her grand kids away!

And what a mess to walk back into.

Reentry is never easy! :o)

RaneeMc said...

Wait - explain what? How grown men/women can still be stupid at 40? I have theories, but they're all tediously philosophical.

Or am I to explain the concept of a beer bong (at any age?) Having witnessed the beer bong thing several times, I can only say "beer bong = vomiting." I don't get it.

I'm guessing some of those people are going to think of you and your five children and wonder if they might ought to have done something different with their lives...like grow up.

Tonya said...

Ranee, I'd like to think that some of them might want to grow up, but doubt it. They seemed quite content in their drunken foolishness.

The whole thing was a little disheartening. Is this what we have to look forward to for our kids in college? Just hearing stories from 20 years ago was enough to scare me from sending a child to college 10 years from now. If that is what they did then, yikes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya,
I decided to read your blog to find out the whole reunion story so you don t have to retype it to answer my e mail. Sounds interesting, reunions like that are not my type of thing either. I m glad you got some quality time with hubby, but to bad about your mom getting sick.

melissa v. said...

You're the best. Hang in there! I think big families are great, you're great, homeschooling is fantastic, and reunions are a strange mixture of fun and aweful. Holy cow, first time grandma sits and she gets sick. Poor grandma. Awesome neighbours! I'm so, so, so glad you and OM (Old Man) got a chance to spend some time together. Reminded me it's high time I arrange a date with MY dh!

melissa v. said...

oops--seems it was your mom sitting, not OMs (she had offered earlier when you announced girlie #3, remember? I drew my own conclusions). I LOVE your mom. Tell her I said I hope she feels better soon, I'll pray for her!

xo

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, sounds like quite the time, LOL. The n*pple . . .yeah, wow. Stories like that make me not sorry we missed Bob's 20th last year (not long after having our sixth! I can imagine those comments!)

To echo someone else, you're not crazy for having so many. Big families are so worth it--you have more to live for than geting drunk! : )

I hope Grandma recovers quickly. What a terrible way to end a not-so-fun weekend, although I am glad you and your husband got to spend time together--THAT sounded very nice and totally worth it1