I am so completely unmotivated today to do anything, except take a long nap. I'm not even sure I have anything profound to say here. I just realized I hadn't written in a week and thought I should say something. Something. There I said it. :-)
We were actually out of town this past weekend. Our oldest, Dawn, had a gymnastics meet near Ocean City, Maryland on Sunday. We decided to finally take a trip down to that area and go hike around Assateague. I am amazed at how many people say, "Huh, Assateague???" (Even people who live in Maryland.) Then I say, "You know, Chincoteague and Assateague?" Same response, "What?" HELLO people - have you heard of the book Misty of Chincoteague? Come on, seriously. The wild horses on an island ... Oh, not everyone was a complete horse fanatic growing up and encourages that sort of thing in their children. So, if you are still lost and don't know anything about these places - look them up. (Side note - anyone know how to underline on here???)
Last week we had to give away a beloved pet. For my daughter Dawn's 5th birthday, she wanted a pet. I'm thinking something furry and cute, she and Old Man go out and purchase a lizard. A Bearded Dragon lizard. They get BIG and you can hold them and they eat live crickets. Oh, fun. So for the past 5 years, she has attempted to be a good lizard pet owner. Unfortunately, when your mother wants nothing to do with it (never touched it - could not find a good reason to) and your father isn't home much, you are left to figuring this out with little help. Somehow, Beardy (full name - Beardy Jumpy Cricket) managed to live with us for 5 whole years. I expected him to drop dead in a few months. Well, the last month he started to look very sickly. With the potential for a move looming, Dawn decided that giving him to a friend who will love him and pet him and feed him lots and carry him around (gag) was the kindest thing to do. Truthfully, she hasn't even been that sad. I haven't been able to muster up even a smidgen of sadness. I'm not elated, but not sad. Don't miss the darn thing at all. We made a very good choice though. My friend called and said that Beardy ate 34 meal worms yesterday and is eating shredded carrots too. Darn lizard hated to eat vegetables for us - he liked live crickets most. We tried meal worms too, but he preferred crickets at my house. Guess he just needed more affection. Now we are down to a fish and a cat. Anyone want a fish? :-)
Well, I suppose I ought to get back to life here. We still have a bit of school work to complete and then Dawn wants to visit Beardy. I think I need a cup of coffee.
**Did I mention that Dawn saw iguanas at the pet store the other day. She was begging "they're only $20!" My response, "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - not on your life - NO. Don't you want a pony?"
1 comment:
UGH!
I can remember those days when I napped on and off all afternoon and the kids watched way to much TV.
Being pregnant is hard work! It takes a lot of energy to grow a person!
And you're speaking to the choir about pet ownership, we stink at it.
I am shocked that our two fish are still alive!
Post a Comment