Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Being Weak

One of the big "themes" surrounding Katie's death was just how much of an impact she had on people. Katie, the girl who couldn't "do" anything. She couldn't speak, serve, walk, offer a word of encouragement, ... nothing that we consider important to impacting others. My sister, Dawn, has repeatedly told me about a book, The Power of the Powerless. Now, I don't claim to be super smart these days, but I'm still a little embarrassed to admit how long it took me to actually listen to that title. Katie, although without an ounce of human power was extremely powerful to people. Wow, isn't God amazing how he can use her? It has made me think about the verses in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Really? Do we pray to be weak? Do we delight in being weak, in having difficult times? Do we? Katie has made me think about these things. When I am weak, I whine about it! I complain, I get frustrated and irritated. I certainly don't rejoice. I fail to think about how my weakness allows Christ's power to be shown all the more.

I think my new prayer is that Christ will make me weak. Which He does. :-) Which I am. But, I want people to see it. I am weak, the only strength that I have is Christ living in me. It is not me. I am not a great mom, not a great housekeeper, not a great homeschooler. I am not patient or kind to my children on my own. Only with Christ's help. I know this, but do others? God, let people see the strength in me as being Your strength, not mine. Thank you for Katie's life and her power.

3 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

I love your posts! This one is such a great reminder for me. I often have the best intentions, but without Christ, I can so totally blow it! I didn't connect that your were Katie's aunt- I read about her at Tricia's. I am so sorry and will keep all your family in my prayers. Just reading about her has touched my heart.

What an incredibly rough plane ride! Poor you!!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry while reading it! What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, I guess. Next time I assume you will be packing Gravol?

I would like to add you to my side bar- are you cool with that?

melissa v. said...

I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxxoxo
{{{triple hug}}}

The only way I've done this single thing for months is by the grace and grace and more grace of God.

And what is with your 'friend' Melissa? I don't know any friends, but I do know a COUSIN; I did marry your relative, which makes us related, you know. ;)

So, so, so cool.

melissa v. said...

all right, I'll forgive you (you talked your way out of that one).
:)