Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas letter

I have spent some time today putting together our "annual" Christmas letter. I can't really call it annual, since I know I didn't send one out last year and I'm not sure about the year before! So, I'm feeling this need to send one out. I love getting letters from other people and pictures and cards. I LOVE it. I just stress over doing this myself! How do you make the letter sound just newsy. Not "look at us we traveled all over the world" or "look at our kids they are brilliant" or "look at us we're so HOLY". Just newsy. This is who we are, this is what we do. We have friends all over the place, who we really just keep in touch with this way. Should we even stay friends with people like that? Seriously. (My oldest daughter's favorite word right now. Seriously.) I love hearing how they are doing, but am I ever going to speak to them or see them again? Plus, there is the stress of who I am going to offend with this letter. "You mean you traveled to my state and didn't visit me?" "You mentioned so and so in your letter, why not me?" "You put that family members life in your letter why not ours?" ARGHHH!

This is driving me to chocolate and red wine.

**I am trying to put together an "intro" post. This may take a lifetime. I'm going to figure out how to put pictures in and everything. Hopefully I will finish it this year!

7 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

i briefly considered doing the same this year, then dismissed the thought. Then I considered having the kids do it, and decided it was too much work because they would want pictures, etc, and I don't know how to really do that. Basically, getting things in the mail on time stresses me out, so I try to avoid putting that much pressure on myself. Hope it all works out for you though!

melissa v. said...

HOORAY!!!!!!!! I knew you'd make an excellent blogger. I must say I'm miffed (not really, just joking) that you've been online for 10 days now and only today informed me. I do believe you've been snooping around on MY blog for months and months!
I treat my blog like a personal journal, a place to vent or write out our feelings, and to share what makes me feel alive. It started out as a way to share family pix/goings on with friends and family who are far away, but I found the journalling aspect growing on me after awhile, and I have now evolved a bit. Of course, my mom reads it so I censor out my complaints about her. And most of the death that I see. But not much else. As you know, since you have to wade through my foul mouthed posts. Although I've improved 500% in the bad language department since I had kids.
One of my friends blogs about her alcoholism in and amongst her kids and hobbies and work and stuff...some people can be pretty raw, but others just use it like a photo album with commentaries.
Have you checked out my mama monk link yet? That's a friend of mine whom I know you'd like.
I'm so happy you're blogging! I knew you'd be hilarious and thoughtful and intelligent (see? I can detect all that in just four posts). I, too, have been contemplating a christmas letter this year. The problem is time. Who has enough?
And no, you are not lazy, by any stretch, on even your laziest day.

xoxoxoxox

p.s. I hate the word verification thingy. I vote you get rid of that.

xo

Tonya said...

Melissa,

I have a word verification thingy? What is that? Is that the thing that makes you type in a bunch of strange letters and numbers in order to post a comment? I hate those too. If that's what it is, I guess I'll have to figure out how to get rid of it!

I am only just starting to tell people about the blog. Since you hadn't been blogging, I hadn't commented, so hadn't told you yet. I told another friend and she announced it on her blog. So I'm getting "strangers" reading my blog. :-) Halfmoon girl is from BC, by the way.

Yes, I did check out Momma Monk just last night. She sounds completely fascinating. What's up with you Canadians - a lovely bunch of people! :-)

melissa v. said...

Heya;
I'm pregnant.
:D

xo

melissa v. said...

No, not public yet. Keep it a secret for now!
xo

Tricia said...

Sorry! Guess I should have asked before I announced to all my readers (like I have so many! :o)

I suffer from a severe case of foot in mouth disease, and yet I still manage to say so much!

About the word verification thingy. I added mine after I got spammed (or whatever you call it).

You get wired things in your comments, mostly advertisements that are computer generated. If you have a word verification thingy you know only real people can comment on your blog.

I hate them too, but I now understand the reason for them.

Tonya said...

Tricia,

I am so very not upset with you! :-) A little surprised, felt like I had to "get my game on". Ya know? :-)

Yes, my girls do like very much like me. It's funny though, some will say that #1 looks JUST like me and others say she looks just like her daddy and #2 looks just like me. #2 has more of my personality. Not sure that's a great thing. :-)