Lately everyone keeps asking me when we are going to start school this year. I usually want to rip their heads off and scream "NEVER". Instead I just say, "we're not sure." For obvious reasons, this past year was just rough. Every time we did school I just wanted to STOP and do nothing. I was behind in so many things and school just felt like a chore. We've decided to change up the way we do school this year - mainly to do more things together, including the boys in it. This means doing a whole lot more hands on, outdoors, active things! Good for all of us! Lots less of "school work".
Saturday before supper, Dawn cleaned the school room - without being asked. She asked me to come down and see it and then, she cornered me. "When are we starting school, Mom?" "Ummm, why, do you WANT to start school?" "YES. I'm bored." "Well, I guess we can start Math on Monday." Her reply?????? (Remember, this child is NOT in love with math - her worst subject.) "Yippee!" Oh goodness, what kind of a person am I raising here?
Needless to say, we started school today. I'm not thrilled, just because I don't feel ready. Not that I will feel ready in another month, or 2 months, or a year... I don't feel like I have a "plan" in place. Like I know exactly what we're doing for every subject. Like I have the school room organized. When I started complaining about this last night, Eric said, "so what, it will get done." I actually started crying a tiny bit. Who are we kidding? We're so behind and so unorganized at this point, when will we ever find time to get "ready" for school?
Today we did devotions, chores, math, art and geography. We're planning to head over to my sister's this afternoon and make bread - that counts for something. Oh, and the chores included cleaning out the crayfish tank (did I mention the kids caught a crayfish and it is now our pet?), cleaning up the dog poop in the back yard and cleaning out the cat litter. A pet chore day!
3 comments:
You are a blogging fool today! Loved all the posts and pictures of the cute little imps. Ben would love bee throw-up on his cereal too.
I always feel so sorry for you when you are so hard on yourself about school.
Keep telling yourself, "Learning the multiplication tables will not get my children into heaven!"
You have wonderful, loving children and you are building MOSTLY good memories with them and teaching them to love and serve God. That is all you really need to do. Being more organized or ready will not get you there :-)
Love and Miss you,
Maurisa
Jace would love to start but K12 hasn't released the online stuff yet. I'm excited too...and scared.
I'm even contemplating teaching Brynna too (5 days before school starts), it makes me even more scared. How do you do it with the little ones around?
Wow, we really are so much alike, because I have those same feelings of not having it all together, and wishing we never had to start school again! We'll be starting next Monday, after my aunt leaves. I'm not looking forward to it, but I can tell we need to start again, since the boys are getting crabby with each other. That's always my biggest clue, LOL.
Post a Comment