Seriously lacking motivation these days to finish up our school year. Any help? With multiple sicknesses (yep, we're all sick again - including ME this time), visitors, a trip, another visitor coming to town next week and just major burnout, I'm D O N E. I want to clean up the school room, be done with this past year and start thinking about curriculum for next year. I want to let the kids play outside all day, go hiking on a whim, throw out the schedule, plan good meals for the grill and just relax. Can't be done. According to Colorado law, I have to have 172 days of school, with 4 hours of "instruction" per day for it to count. Guess that means we'll be doing school for the next 6 months to finish up this year. Just kidding! I think I figured out we'll be going until June 12 or something. Unless I can count field trips when my mother-in-law is in town. :-)
Next year we're majorly revamping our curriculum. What we've been doing just is NOT working with 5 kids. Only 2 are seriously doing school. Two are getting into serious trouble most days. And one is seriously cute all the time (except for today when she will not nap). Seriously.
***Edited: About the homeschool law in Colorado. Yes, it is stricter than Maryland's law. At least I feel it is. In Maryland you had to have a portfolio review once a year. Here you have to take standardized tests (GAG) every odd year, starting in 3rd grade and you have to log attendance. I think the general feeling is that you just log attendance and assume you're getting 4 hours of instruction per day. Doing math counts as one hour whether it takes you 10 minutes or 2 hours. Kids in school have a "one hour class" no matter what gets accomplished in that class. I have been logging attendance (and I count field trips). I haven't felt right counting every day as a school day (I mean, Saturdays cleaning the house are educational, right?). So I only count days we are actually working on "school" or on a field trip.
4 comments:
"172 days of school, with 4 hours of "instruction" per day"
How do they enforce this? Do you have to submit time sheets or something?!
I'd talk to an unschooler and find out what they do...I'm guessing there's a way around this...
I'm not sure I want to live in Colorado when we retire. Too liberal!
I guess Texas is just easy about this, isn't it? Well, as far as the standardized test, I actually gave one to my first and third grader just to see where they are, and it wasn't bad. I just split it up over an entire week. Have you done them before now?
Andrea
Hey, next year I'm doing K12 for Jace, it's a virtual public school. CO offers it as well, it's an awesome program, all is free and online. They even give you the computer, monitor, and printer...not to mention the curriculum and anything additional needed for labs, etc. Here's the link: http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-public-schools/
Post a Comment