Monday, May 25, 2009

Is It Worth It?

I had a great post planned (in my head), but am short on time due to people needing me. :-) I'll try to make it shorter (yes, you can thank me later).

I know I've complained more than normal lately. We've had a very hard year ++. I'm pretty much worn out right now! Moving was much harder than I anticipated and I think we are still dealing with the stress of it. But I've noticed something. When I do complain about life, the response I generally get is what to do to get rid of the problem. This seems to be the way we handle things in our society.

If your marriage is tough, get out of it! If you don't like your job, get a different one. If you have a friend who is difficult, get rid of her. Basically, we shouldn't have to ever do something tough or deal with something hard. We have so many choices that we can always choose something easier.

Lately I've been asking myself the question, "is it worth it?". Is it worth it to live the life I live or should I change it? Homeschooling - yes, it's worth it! It's worth the hard work, worth the long hours, worth the struggles, worth every bit of it. Even on our hardest day, I cannot imagine sending my kids away to school. Now, it helps, in all of this, to remember that we know God called us to homeschool our children. We prayed and were convicted that this is His path for us. If we chose to do something else, we would be disobedient. Is it worth it to obey Him? YES! :-)

There are many other examples of things that we've decided are worth it, even when others think we are nuts. :-) Natural childbirth might be the top one on many people's list as not worth it. But for us, yes it is worth it.

Now, my girls need me to tuck them in, my husband needs me to rub his sore leg. I would rather post pictures on my blog. But, what is worth it? THEM. :-)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Great Post! You are very right about us wanting to find a way OUT! Thanks for the encouragement.
Hugs,
Andrea

Halfmoon Girl said...

True, society always offers that quick fix- often the repercussions are great though.

melissa v. said...

Hey! Can't wait to see you at grandma's birthday. It's coming up soon!! Miss you.

Love your posts. Love your thoughts. Love your family.