Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What People Think

I was recently reading on a good friend's blog, Half a Dozen Productions, that she was worried about what other people would think when they saw her child out without a coat. Sunday, while sitting in church, I looked down at my beloved children and realized that maybe, just maybe I need to be more concerned about what people think of me. David, our 2 year old, had a head band on and Anne, our 7 year old was wearing tennis shoes and mismatched socks with her skirt. Add to that the discussion before church at my house:

I was just generally grumbling and complaining about how horrid I looked.
Old Man: Shall I nominate you for What Not To Wear?
Me: Ha ha, funny, they'd take me in a heart beat. Fuddy duddy home schooling mom with 5 kids...
In walks Dawn: What are you talking about?
Me: Oh, Dad just thinks I should go on What Not To Wear.
Dawn: (she's seen parts of the show a couple times) You look better than one person on that show.
Me: ONE person? Wow, thanks!
Dawn: I mean, better than some people. I mean, most people. I ... (I'm glaring at her by now.)
Me: Well, I feel just great now!

So as I looked at my lovely children at church and thought of that conversation I realized that I need to worry a bit more about what people think. I think about those families you see where noone's cloths fit, they don't match, their hair is a mess, kids are dirty and I'm starting to think that maybe that is ME. Whatever happened to the days when I made sure my clothes were nice, my hair done, makeup on ... hmmm, maybe those days never happened for me.

3 comments:

Maurisa said...

I love What Not to Wear! You are so not a candidate for that show. You are too much of a natural girl and free spirit to be tied down by fashion rules!

Look on the bright side, at least the kids were wearing underwear to church!

Tonya said...

"Too much of a natural girl and free spirit..." I think that means I do look like crap most of the time. Sigh. It's really has less to do with a free spirit and more to do with being clueless on how to put it all together and look nice. And an absolute hatred of shopping. And no time to shop. And hating to spend money ... Sigh.

Yes, I think they all had underwear on! Didn't check though! :-)

lifebythehandful said...

Everyone in my house dresses themselves except for the baby and Brian. So as you can imagine we leave the house with some outfits and sometimes costumes. My only rule, your shoes have to match and they can't be from the dress up bin. I have given up on worrying what people think of my kids and have taken the sage advice of a friend, "Sometimes you just gotta let them walk behind you". On the days they are really extravagant I do try to look a bit more put together with the hope they figure they dress themselves. We are creating independent thinkers!