Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bad Mom Alert

I am not fit to be a mother today. I was feeling very sick this morning with vertigo. Since Old Man leaves at 6 in the morning, I didn't know this until he was already long gone. What do you do if you can't stand up for very long? Actually, it started off with just a little bit of dizziness, but quickly progressed to me feeling like throwing up while I stood. So I called the babysitter, asked her to come over asap (I should tell you about her - she is amazing - lives 5 minutes away, so was here in 15 minutes). I went to bed as soon as I called her. Oh, woke up the 10 year old and put her in charge while the babysitter was on her way. After a couple of hours in bed, I felt well enough to get a shower and come downstairs. Strange. Now we are getting to the horrible mom thing. It's 11ish this morning. I've been downstairs for maybe, hmmm, 15 minutes. I realize that none of us changed David's diaper. It is my responsibility, so don't blame the babysitter. First, I was up with him for 2 hours before she came over - and I didn't change it. Second, I always ask her if it needs to be done. As soon as I realized we hadn't changed him yet, I went to pick him up out of our LaZBoy chair. Stuck my hand right in the poop that was clear up his back. GROSS. His diaper was soooooo full of pee and poop that it couldn't hold it all. GROSS. Then I realized we only had 3 wipes downstairs - one for his back, one for my hand and one for the chair. I had to cart him upstairs, strip him down, wipe poop off of everything and give him a bath. Oh, and wash my hands 20 times. GROSS.

I'm turning in my Mother License this afternoon.

On a very funny note: apparently the other day our 4 year old son, Joseph, told his sister that he would rule over her one day. She was not impressed. I thought it was hilarious. Where do they come up with this stuff?

9 comments:

RaneeMc said...

Umm...hello? Four other people in your house, and none of them thought to say, hey, I think this kid needs a diaper change? Isn't that what baby-sitters are there for? You wouldn't say it was your responsibility if you had been out of the house, so why is it your fault now? No, no, no. The only thing you're guilty of is not making clear to your daughters and your babysitter that diapers are well within their capabilities - and responsibilities! I'd be torqued off at THEM if I were you!

melissa v. said...

I'm worried about this vertigo thing. Did you check your heart rate? Have you peed a normal amount today? Any abdominal pain? Contractions? Baby moving? Vertigo can mean a lot of things which are harmless, including a simple inner ear infection. But it can also signal internal bleeding or serious iron deficiency. Heart rate above 90-100 beats per minute is an early sign of blood loss. Less pee is a later sign.
Sometimes the placenta can detach a bit and major bleeding result, but get trapped above the amniotic sac and therefore you wouldn't know you were bleeding until you passed out.
Infrequent complication, but still.
Get better soon!

RaneeMc said...

Oh, er, uh, yeah. You might want to get that vertigo thing checked out, too....

Tonya said...

Oh, sorry to worry you. Let me answer your questions, Melissa.

My heart rate seemed normal, although I didn't check it. Had peed plenty (twice during the night and once when I woke up). Kept drinking, even though it made me feel nauseated. I actually have very low blood pressure - 90/68 at the last dr appt (22 weeks prego). I've had problems with vertigo in the past (many years ago) and it seemed to be related to my having too much milk before bed. Gave me sort of a melatonin hangover (sounds weird, but that is what the dr said). Once I stopped drinking milk before bed, I was fine. Last night I ate yogurt before bed, so I thought maybe that was the problem.

So, long response here! I'm totally fine now. If it continues or comes back, I will call a dr. I tend to wait until it is prolonged or recurring though.

Am I ok Melissa? Not asking sarcastically, but seriously. :-) If I feel fine now, can I wait to see if it comes back?

melissa v. said...

Yeah, you're okay. Because #1-your symptoms have improved, and #2-you have a past history of vertigo the a.m. after milk--yogurt fits the profile. Vertigo is usually, in the case I mentioned, caused by low low blood pressure, caused by blood loss. Chronic low Bp like yours can also cause vertigo, and blackout spells, and nausea, and sweating, especially when rapidly moving from lying down to sitting/standing. But not for hours.
Anyways, yes I would say you are fine.
Blood loss causes low Bp and high heart rate (racing). Your first symptoms in blood loss are nervousness, anxiety, and restlessness. Those seem the same but are actually slightly different! Next, rapid heart rate. Vertigo. Thirst.
Then, low Bp.

You're good. Thanks for the details, esp. having had this in the past and it being related to milk consumption. Interesting about the melatonin hangover--had not heard of that before! Yeah, I'd say it is safe to wait and see if symptoms come back before calling your dr./midwife. Mention it next time you see your midwife so she knows and can chart it in case it happens while you are under her care.

xo!

Glad you feel better.

Halfmoon Girl said...

Hope you are feeling better! Promise me you won't make Joseph a colorful coat or let your daughter throw him into a deep hole- it may cause some problems...

Anonymous said...

Honey, the vertigo is perhaps from you not eating enough. After being preg with twins and pretty much NEVER having enough food in there, I felt vertigo all the time in the mornings, especially, when my blood sugar was low. Helps to eat some kind of high-protein snack. Quickly. Hope you're feeling better soon--oh, and we've ALL had those "ewww-poop-up-the-back-his-dipe-is-so-disguistingly-full-now-I-have-a-poopy-hand" moments, don't sweat it. I'd for sure be getting the "bad mom alert" as well!

Lisa E. said...

In response to Joseph, and "where do they get this stuff?"

Um...the Bible?

Isn't that exactly what the sheaves of wheat meant? :)

Tonya said...

Oh, I know the story of Joseph in the Bible! :-) But I'm pretty sure my Joseph doesn't know it well enough to know that line. And, he was angry with his sister and trying to make her angry too. I'm just amazed that at the age of 4, a young boy KNOWS that he will be bigger and stronger than his older sister (and trust me, he will be, despite her absolute belief that she will be bigger and stronger than him).