Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Joys of De-cluttering

I think that title is a little bit of sarcasm. Anyone agree? So, as you can imagine, we are in frantic mode at my house. We need to have the house on the market by June 1, at the latest - preferably by May 23. Make note of that - it is less than 2 weeks from today. If I gave you the list of all that needs to be done, you would pass out. I feel like it. And I'm still attempting to finish school in the same 2 weeks, although it is definitely becoming less of a priority each day. (Especially since I missed taking a needed nap yesterday in order to do school work. Ouch.)

Yesterday I worked on getting the boys' room ready. It actually looks great right now! A friend called while I was working on it and she came over to help. (She brought her 4 kids too, so while we cleaned upstairs, the kids destroyed downstairs. :-) Oh well!) We took down the crib, sorted toys and books, moved the bed, rearranged all the furniture, cleaned, ... We even managed to get the crib in the attic! Old Man wasn't impressed that I helped to move a double bed while pregnant. I sweetly (ha) reminded him that HE ISN'T HOME to help me, so what am I to do? Yep, he worked another 14 hour day yesterday. I thought this would end once the move was certain. Sigh.

Today, we are tackling the girls' room. I am down here, on the computer, to lower my blood pressure. Nothing like opening the closet and seeing clothes everywhere - on the floor, the shelves, on top of the hangers - but NOT on the hangers. My blood pressure shot up, I took everything out of the closet, put it in a huge pile and told them they had 30 minutes or I was giving it all away. Each of the girls has been down here crying. Not budging. Nope, not. Other than that, it's going ok, but very very slow. Anne, our 7 year old wanted to keep half of a plastic egg. Why? Why? Why? Can anyone explain this to me? She collects everything. Rocks, feathers, beads, lip gloss, plastic jewelry, broken things, half of toys ... This could take a few days.

Better run. My blood pressure is down. I need to eat something. Hold David, who just crawled on my lap. Get back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Woman! I feel your pain. I can't imagine doing what you have to do with four children and being pregnant! I only have the two and am NOT pregnant and we are only getting our house ready to rent. It is a huge pain though! David has been working daily (including Sat and Sun) for six weeks plus now. He is leaving Sunday for the UK and there is so much to do! We have to hire all these people plus a property management company and change/get all these different insurances, blah de blah de blah! What can you do? It will all get done or it won't! We are supposed to be there on June 14. There are so many things to square away here that I don't even care that we don't have a place to live in the UK yet! I'll worry about that once we get there! (I have been looking on line though). My little Ann sounds like yours! She would be a pack rat if I'd let her! I've "enjoyed" de-cluttering some things. I got rid of half the clothes in my closet, at least. Yeah, I KNOW I will never be a size 4 again so I might as well pitch them all! :) You guys take good care and try not to stress! Think of how great it will be in Colorado! That's what I keep trying to remind myself. It will all be worth it. Love, Rebekah

melissa v. said...

Ann comes by it honestly. Ever been to Grandma Vera's house? Yikes!
Brent's mom's side is even WORSE, if you can imagine. Sure, it's aweful having Ann be your packrat; how about if it were your husband? I throw his shit away behind his back ALL the TIME!! Don't tell him ;-)
Clutter actually makes me feel incredibly anxious. Which is why I don't spend a hell of a lot of time in my bedroom!! Lol!
xo
Thinking of you while you slog away on this huge project!