We have been a little bit, ummm, chicken, shall we say, to tell my mother-in-law that we are expecting again. Only because she has mentioned that my husband "needs" a vasectomy about a thousand times since we had baby #3. We really just didn't want to hear it anymore. So we have avoided telling her. But, we are supposed to go over to her house in a couple weeks, which means she is either going to figure it out, or we needed to tell her. I didn't want to just show up and hear her reaction, I wanted my husband to call and tell her. He, being a wonderful avoider of conflict, didn't want to call. We came up with a wonderful solution - we had our oldest daughter call her! (Aren't we brave?) She calls Gammy up and tells her. Gammy says, "oh, really - let me talk to your Mom." Since we had anticipated that, we had told our oldest that we were unavailable. Yep, chicken. :-) As expected, Gammy got off the phone with us and immediately called her daughter, who confirmed that we are indeed expecting another baby. Later in the evening, my husband finally called his Mom. Her reaction was surprising, to say the least. She is thrilled! Even sounded excited, according to my husband. But, the most surprising of all is that she asked this question, "What can I do to help?" Wow. She has never offered to do anything to help us. He was so shocked at her question that I think he almost dropped the phone! :-)
Isn't it nice when someone surprises you? Now, I still haven't talked to her. Not avoidance, just lack of time to call her without kids all over the place. But I am so thankful for her immediate reaction. Now, if I just have the nerve to tell her to not mention a vasectomy ever again . . .
2 comments:
I agree- it is wonderful when you get a positive reaction that you weren't expecting. Sounds like she is a bit forthright with her opinions at times??? Glad she was excited and offered help.
You should tell her he already had one but it does not seem to be working!
hehehehehehe!
Post a Comment