Thursday, October 18, 2012

Facebook, Politics and the Holy Spirit

I've kicked myself off of Facebook until after the election.  I just can't stand politics and really can't stand people telling people how to vote ON FACEBOOK.  Not the correct place at all.

My cousin and friend, Melissa, quickly suggested that I blog again.  Which is funny because I thought about blogging about an incident just last night.  For those of you who actually read my blog when I blog (all 2 of you!), here you go!!!  Please comment, because I'm going to be missing my conversations on Facebook!!!

I've been sick for a week and a half.  Nothing horrific, just an ugly cold which has me completely exhausted all day long.  I fell asleep earlier than normal Tuesday night.  Imagine my frustration when I woke up at 11 something and was WIDE awake.  Completely wide awake.  Eric was flying out very early in the morning for work.  I started having horrible thoughts about his plane crashing.  I started planning out what in the world I would do if his plane crashed.  Started imagining how the kids and I would handle life without him.  I realized how very very much I need this man!!!  In every single way, I need him.  I had been praying about his safety, but at that point, I started begging and pleading with God to keep Eric alive for many many years.  We need him.  We love him.  He is completely necessary to our lives.

I fell back asleep and slept fine.  Woke up slightly as he left at 5:30 and then slept until almost 8 (Abigail is a dear and had already made breakfast and fed 3 of the kids, Liza was sleeping with me).  I wasn't worried about Eric when I woke up, but prayed some more and went on with my day.  I called Eric around 11 when I figured he had landed.

Remember something about Eric - he has flown thousands of hours, both commercial and military.  He spent a year in Test Pilot School and for three years, he was a Flight Test Engineer at Edwards AFB, spending some of almost every single day in an airplane.  He KNOWS flying.  When I called, he told me he was so thankful to be alive and on the ground because that was THE VERY WORST flight he had ever been on.  I talked to him a few times during the day and these are the things he told me: he was sure the pilot did not have control over the aircraft at one point, the wings were up and down and forward and backward, they dropped at least 200 feet causing everyone to scream, the lady next to him was crying and crossing herself in fear.  He was scared.

I told Abigail about my being awake and his flight.  She looked at me and said, "Mom, I woke up and I was scared about Daddy flying today."  Another friend told me he had a dream that same night about Eric flying and things weren't good.  Then Seth told me he had a dream that Eric's plane had crashed and it caused him to wake up sobbing and he got up at that point and walked around the house (Seth was up at 5:30 in the morning).

I'm slightly freaked out over all of it.  This is the third time Eric's called to tell me he's alive and all three times it was due to an airplane issue.  I can only think that the Holy Spirit woke me up and cause those dreams.  I am very thankful that Eric is fine (he said he never thought he'd be thankful to be driving in LA traffic but he was yesterday!). 

He's flying home today.  I will be praying!


4 comments:

Thia said...

Good to hear from you. Glad that all is well! It's scary when those things happen.

Maurisa said...

It amazes me how some of my best prayers--most heart felt--are because I've been awakened and feel the tug of the Holy Spirit on my heart for one person or another. I love this story. I'll miss you on Facebook :)

Christy said...

This is one of my favorite posts you've written... Such an encouragement to not grow weary in praying because it really does make a difference, even though it doesn't always seem that way. My daughter liked it too. She had just been reading a story about the difference prayer makes. Hope you write again during this non-Facebook season!

melissa v. said...

Wow, how scary! Man, I love God and how he works hard to envelop us in His love. And PTL Eric is okay!! Was it weather related, or bad pilot, or what?