For those of you who don't know how truly weird I am, this should dispel any myths of me being normal from your mind.
I am in the process of weaning Liza. Yes, she is almost 3. Yes, I have nursed all of my children for more than "normal" (in the US, that is). Just to give you an idea, I have nursed for 11 and a half years total with the 5 kids. Liza has nursed the longest, mainly because I'm not pregnant! I've usually had to wean the kids once I am pregnant, due to pain, contractions, exhaustion, whatever.
So why am I weaning her? I was really ready to be done a couple of months ago, but knew that with this big trip coming up, nursing her would be very very helpful. Which it was. But somewhere in all of this my milk pretty much dried up. Which means nursing her became very painful. VERY painful. If I could have weaned her in the middle of the trip (when she wanted to nurse extra!), I would have.
We got home Saturday evening, Sunday I told her we were going to have to stop having "nu-nu". She took it fine. Monday morning, she woke at 5 and nursed. That was the last time. I talked to her about it later that morning, reminded her that mommy was hurting and we needed to be done. We were both fine.
And then yesterday...she wanted to have nu-nu before her nap, but took it pretty well when I said no. We cuddled, rocked and she was fine. Granted, she didn't take a nap until we got in the car, but that was to be expected! Then last night, bedtime, she fell and hit her head on the floor. She wanted nu-nu, she was crying, I almost gave in, but then she hugged me instead and seemed ok. And that was when I wasn't ok. I started to cry. I have loved nursing my kids. It has been such a special bond with each of them. It always feels so good to be able to "fix" things. And now it is over. We aren't planning on having any more babies, so it is over for good.
So I'm sad and feeling quite old.
4 comments:
I wanted to cry too reading that! You have always been such a great example of a nursing mom to me! One day all of your kids will look back on this post and thank God for such a self sacrificing Mommy.
awwww I'm glad its been so easy for her!
I was just going to say that I bet your milk is drying up bec you're pregnant ;-) lol
(((Hugs))) Tonya! I don't know what I'll do when I know it's my last time to nurse, so I am definitely empathizing with you right now! So sad--but I'm sure you will have tons more energy now! (Or maybe that is just what I'm hoping for, when it's time for me to be done, LOL)
shoot, you made me cry. I feel for you! xoxo
Post a Comment