First, day 5 without a car. I actually picked it up yesterday, drove it home, called the shop and took it back. The alignment is still messed up. We are out of milk, eggs and many other things, but no one is starving yet! Yes, I *could* go to the grocery store in the evening, but had a Pampered Chef party to go to last night (way more fun than grocery shopping) and was hoping to wait until today to go shopping. We shall see!
I thought I should update on my quitting homeschooling. This week has been a tad rough. I've felt like crying many many times. But in the midst of it, I feel peace about quitting. Part of that is that after a couple days of reflection, I realized that it really was just the curriculum we were using (My Father's World). It wasn't working at all! It's a wonderful program, one that I will recommend. It just wasn't working with our kids at their ages. The program was geared towards 4th-8th graders. Which, if you think, means it is way over the heads of THREE of my kids. My three youngest. Which meant they were not interested in what I was reading, out loud, to them, for an hour to an hour and a half a day.
For now, I am going to use something called, Organic Homeschooling. It's new. I'm going to just try it out for the next 2 months and see how it goes. So that's where we are today. Talk to me tomorrow, it just might change!
3 comments:
That site does look interesting. I hope it brings more peace to your home- a curriculum that the kids enjoy makes all the difference!
Homeschooling...hello, I'm new to your blog, but my husband reads quite requently. We HS'd for a total of 11yrs.I tried a few curriculums. While they were young the best fit was KONOS. It's a character based integrating all subjects. They loved making the time-line (so did MOM) and much learning lingered through the others we used later. We used poster boards stretched across the wall and added our little people and events (even some family history) and it was exciting. Years later the author came to our church and we are great friends, she/husband have their Academy at our church facilities. We also used Sonlight Curriculum which is a literature based integrating one that my daughter enjoyed later and has an English degress because of enjoying literature so much. Hope this helps. My son also graduated from the Calvert School (thru 8th) and went to GA Tech. Hope this helps some. Try to keep it "individual" as possible.
I have been away from the blog for so long but I'm glad to see that I can come on when I struggle and see that I'm not alone.
I can't wait to hear about the organic homeschooling. If it goes well maybe I will look into it. Next year I think Jace is going back to public. :( He says he's ready...don't know if I am.
Post a Comment