Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Quit

Due to excessive fighting among my children and because I love my kids, I quit homeschooling today.  No, I'm not sending them to school.  I just quit trying to "do school" for a while. 

Lately, whenever I try to read to all my kids (devotions, science, history), there is fighting and interruptions.  I end up in tears pretty much every single time we attempt to "do school".  By the time we are done, I am done for the day. I have no energy left to deal with the kids.  I let them watch videos, tell them to play outside, let them get on the computer.  Anything to keep them quiet and hopefully not fighting.

What will I do instead?  Play games.  Make cookies.  Go to the park.  Read books (but only what we want to read and only what they want to listen to).  Plan our garden.  Plant a garden.  Maybe I will finally have the energy to deal with my kids fighting instead of just hoping it goes away.

First thing on the list?  Make cookies with my 2nd born child.

3 comments:

The Whites said...

That sounds like an awesome solution! You're such a great mom, Tonya :-)

melissa v. said...

hang in there! they learn scads through cookie baking and games and trips to the park! likely far more than with schoolwork...

Mary @ Cheerios said...

Sometimes that's all we need for a weeee bit-a break. Good for both momma's and kids' spirits, right? The cirriculum has EVERYTHING to do with mom being excited to have school as much as the kids.
We use CHC -catholic heritage Cirriculum and it is so much low key and fits our family so much better than others. Took me a few years to switch but so glad. Yes, we have rough days but that's ok. and its ok that you take days *off*. Why not?! You homeschool and you can do that! :) One thing I try to remember frequently is that we are called to raise little saints, and homeschooling is so much more about HOME than school. I totally know about that fighting and how it drives us MOmmas nuts. but hang in there. Even if I just PRAY with the kids, do reading and math-that is a great school day for us. Lower your expectations. It'll all be ok. Beg God for guidance and fortitude, wisdom, and sef control and believe He can help you and will give you the graces. Praying for you...God bless you.