I've posted a bit about burnout recently. A friend sent me an e-mail with some thoughts and links to homeschool blogs. Not necessarily about burnout, but just about the way we view education. Great blogs to read. I think she will post a blog about this on her blog, so I won't put her thoughts here. This was my reply to her though:
About burnout. My first thought is that burnout is primarily a result of sin. Not necessarily my sin, but just sin in the world. Sickness would be one of the main things! And getting old. :-) God says His burden is easy and His yoke is light. If that is true (and it IS), then how can we get burnt out??? Sin. For me that means I don't spend as much time nurturing my relationship with the Lord - for many reasons - no time!, no privacy!, exhaustion ... But I need to place such a higher priority on going to Him, praying without ceasing, taking every thought captive ... The taking every thought captive is a huge on for me right now. I catch myself grumbling internally "this is so hard", "why can't these kids figure out how to clean up?", "ARGH"... :-) I'm currently reading Seasons of a Mom's Heart (I think that's the name) by Sally Clarkson. She's talking about JOY and THANKFULNESS. Right now, every time I catch myself thinking the negative thoughts I'm replacing them with thanksgiving to God. Today, I was cleaning up a mess from brownies that Abigail had made. My thoughts were "oh for pity sake, can't she clean up? Can't she notice the mess?". I stopped and instead started giving thanks for Abigail - for a daughter who can bake brownies on her own, who delights in doing this for her family. I think changing those thoughts will go a long way towards helping with burnout.
I think you're right about how the lack of motivation and burnout are from what we have been taught. Not just about learning, but even on our view of children and hard work. We've been taught that children are a nuisance, an irritation. That work is something we should try to avoid. That we should be filling our lives with entertainment and relaxation and our SELVES. And this comes from the Christian culture as well. You've had a hard day? Well, you need time out with your friends. You need to get AWAY from your family. You need to go to a coffee shop, go shopping, go to a bookstore ... You and your husband need to get AWAY from your children one night every week or your marriage is going to fall apart. In order to enjoy a vacation, you need to be AWAY from your kids. Take time for your SELF. Focus on YOUR needs. Focus on what YOU enjoy. Basically it's ME ME ME and get AWAY from those annoying kids!
What does the Lord say? Children are a blessing! Jesus said, "Let the children come to ME". (KJV says suffer - Eric and I were joking that maybe people don't know that word means "allow" and instead think it means you will suffer if you let the children come to you!) Why do we spend our days trying to get away from our children? Why is the automatic assumption that if you're with your kids you're "stuck" with them? That obviously you are not enjoying your life? That it must be super bad to be in your shoes? Why is this the thinking coming from our Christian brothers and sisters? That having more than one or two kids must be HORRID?
Off on a tangent there. :-) The point is, work is to be expected. Children are a blessing. So if our children create hard work for us, be thankful. Be thankful you have children. Be thankful for the ways they DO bless your life. Stop focusing on the hard parts and choose to focus on the blessings in all this.
Besides, life is hard. Even keeping yourself well entertained is hard work. :-) I'm thankful that the Lord gave me five children so I could learn that hard work can be a blessing. My work is hard! But the eternal reward is worth it.
All right, I think I may post this to my blog. I've been severely uninspired lately, but this has been brewing in my head. Thanks for your e-mail to force me to sit down and put my thoughts into writing!
Couple extras I'll add here. First, I'm going to my kids first names here. Very few people read my blog and you pretty much all know me. It's confusing to ME to use their middle names and it's confusing to you. Also, I'm not saying that getting away is wrong or even unnecessary. It's just what are we choosing to focus on? The only true way to be refreshed is spending time with the Lord. It's great to have a date with my husband. It's great to go out with a friend. But I know that those things do not bring about a change in my heart. Only time with God can do that!
5 comments:
Ha! Looks like you were posting as I was posting. :-) Thanks for the discussion!
Oh, here's the link to my post:
http://newhomeschoolersresource.blogspot.com/2010/04/lense.html
Hang in there Tonya. God knows where your heart lies and that your heart's desire is to serve Him. Every single one of us has days, weeks, months, years in which we tear our hair out and ask, "Why am I doing this?"
Love and miss you, too!
Hi there, I happened to hop onto your blog. nice job w/your blog! I also agree about burnout lately. I am thinking of just shutting down 'school' for this year so that we can focus more on my family and unity w/them. they are fighting too much lately and i feel like i am putting out fires all the time.
homeschooling, that is why i can just say...all done! but i also worry if they are not taught the right things etc...i hope we are coming along. the main goal is for them to get to heaven and if they are misbehaving, disobeying etc...fighting etc... then i need to focus on that./ they will learn to read or do math eventually but hey may not learn how to get along w/eachother unless I put it in the forefront of our household and our family. BTW, we have 6 under 9!!!
I also wanted to mention about children being seen as a hindrence to selfish actions etc... my hubby and I have not gone away for almost 10 years for a few days, a weekend. We are badly in need of this time away, not from the kids necessarily, but to focus on US, focus on BEST FRIENDS, focus on us as a couple, not just as parents all the time. What are your thoughts on that?
God bless you, Happy Easter!!!
Anonymous,
Getting away with your husband is a GREAT idea! We've not done that very often (I think we've spent 5 or 6 nights without kids in the last 12 years), but I do think it's a wonderful thing to attempt! Eric and I typically put our kids to bed around 8 or 8:30, so we have time together in the evenings. Since we don't watch much television and we don't plan weeknight activities very often, this leaves us lots of time to just hang out. If you have someone who can watch the kids, you don't have a nursing baby (or you have a nursing baby who is easy, sleeps well and you can bring him/her), then you should try to get away!
Post a Comment