So Melissa is wondering what has happened to me. Thanks Melissa! :-) I'm here, just had an inability to come up with anything to write about. Here's my attempt...
I love cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are WONDERFUL. I could eat a million in one setting. But I know they are so bad for you, so I always want to make my cookies healthy. I started using whole wheat flour in them, which does help. There is still a bunch of sugar and butter though. I've made oatmeal chocolate chip (with whole wheat flour) for a long time. Better, but still... A couple weeks ago, I decided to try to make super healthy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Whole wheat flour, coconut oil instead of butter, agave nectar for half the sugar (brown sugar for the rest), ground up flax seeds to add more good stuff. They could be really good! The texture is great, they are even a bit soft, which my oatmeal cookies are normally not soft. There was one fairly noticeable problem with these cookies. See, another thing I love in my cookies is cinnamon. I usually just open the top on the cinnamon and pour. Yum. Cinnamon is good for you too! :-) As I made these healthy cookies, I reached in the cupboard while the mixer was mixing, grabbed the cinnamon, opened the top and poured some into the batter. Except that I grabbed the cumin by mistake. Yeah. Cumin. Another issue I have is an inability to throw something away that might, potentially be ok. I decided to not throw out the batter and start over. I just added the cinnamon I should have added, threw in the rest of the ingredients and cooked them. Yes, I made Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cumin Cookies. As you can imagine, they are NOT good. They aren't horrid, but they are NOT good. My sister, after I forced her to try one, said they tasted like armpit (not sure how she knows what armpit tastes like, but I was laughing too hard to ask). Maybe they should be called Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cumin Armpit Cookies. Nah, that sounds even worse!
Funny part of all this? I finally decided to throw away TWO bags of cookies the other day. I mean, really, they weren't disappearing very quickly. David opens the pantry door, sees the two bags of cookies in the trash and wails, "But MOM, I like the Cumin Cookies!" This is my child who rebels against normal food! I told him he could take the bags of cookies out of the trash and today I told him he could eat as many Cumin Cookies as he likes.
But hey, they ARE healthy. Right?
Gag.
5 comments:
Awesome post! My hubby and I were laughing until we cried. I've gotta know how your sister knows what armpit tastes like!
If you have big brothers, you know what arm pit tastes like, cause they jam your face in there, unless that was just unique to my siblings...
Your cookie story was cute. I like to make all different kinds of choc chip cookies too, and add the same kind of stuff to make them healthier.
ok, well...I don't add cumin though.
Cookies are not supposed to be healthy Tonya. Healthy cookies are not fun at all. :-) Let Dawn make them with sugar and butter and white flour and enjoy.
Marie
WOW you made me laugh--I LOOOOVE that you held onto the cookies for awhile, hopeful they would get better or something????
Nice work on the second batch. :)))
Post a Comment