Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Poetry

My girls decided to write a few poems today. No, we are not teaching poetry this year. They just decided to do this during quiet time! :-) The first three are written by Anne. The second are written by Dawn. They really are best if you could hear them read them. Anne puts such great inflection in her voice! Love it! :-)


The Yes Poem

The word that's best
It beats the rest
And maybe you know
That it makes the children squeal
When they want to watch a video

When you say no or maybe
It isn't even right!
When you say it wrong it just starts a fight!
When your child asks you a question
Like, "Can I have a popsicle?"
The answer should be "YES!
YES YES YES!!!"


The No Poem

But Dad!
Why not Mom?

Oh, it's an awful word!
The word that everyone hates!
It has two letters
That even go hand in hand in the alphabet!

And the word it makes is - NO!
Oh why did it have to be no?


The Maybe Poem

I want a yes or maybe a no
Not a maybe so!
It's almost as bad as no
At least it's better than no!
But I would rather have a yes!
Maybe doesn't do anything
Besides make you wonder
Is it yes or a no?
If you say maybe you just waste time
Wondering if it's a yes or a no
thank it is a no
Because you wasted time!
Maybe could be worse than no
Maybe maybe maybe all day

Who invented that word anyway?


Yes

Ah yes
That wonderful
Happy
Joyful Word
That perfectly right word!

It makes the children from 15 and under
Squeal with joy!
But it makes me wonder
How could a little word like YES
Mean so much?


No

That awful word
That horrible word
That makes the babies and children cry.

That painful word
That means you can't or shouldn't have!

Although you probably already know
What the word is,
Just to be sure
The word is simply "No"


Maybe

Ugh, that strange word!
When y ou simply need a yes or no!
But somehow, instead of yes or no
It's maybe!

The word that leaves the children in suspense
When they really really want a yes!

The word that leaves them wondering
"What will she say next?"


Horse

The strong muscles
The ear splitting whinny
The horses wild and free!

The paint
The palomino
The piercing black stallion who takes you through the fields!

But out of all of them
It was the rearing black and white paint
That was mine.


A Storm

A violent thing
A beautiful thing
A grey dot in the middle of blue.

The roaring thunder
The flashing lightning
The rain that pours down on us!

But in our house it is a cozy sight
To watch the storm from afar.

4 comments:

RaneeMc said...

I will be able to say "I knew them when..." Very nice.

lifebythehandful said...

I'm impressed. What a great job and to do it without being prompted.

Anonymous said...

Wow! If only I could get great poetry from my kids by NOT teaching poetry :)

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

I want to know what they wanted you to say yes to, but you apparently said maybe. Were they plotting for something?
Loved the poems. Especially the horse one. Very good! Oh, and I loved the storm one too. Great work, girls!