Tuesday, November 15, 2011

UTI

My baby Liza has a UTI.  Poor thing.  I've been loading her up on cranberry juice, coconut water, water, homeopaths and anything else I can think of to help her out.  I'm trying really hard to avoid antibiotics at this point.  Anyone else have experience with this?  How long before you would take a kid in?  What symptoms would make you take her in?

She had a couple of UTI's as a baby.  We had the whole VCUG - kidney reflux tests done.  She's fine.  We haven't had any issues until recently.  I weaned her in August and started working harder at potty training her (she was about 90% there at that point).  Potty training quit working.  She kept leaking and seemed to have no control over her urine.  I gave up!  Put her back in pull-ups and figured we'd just wait.  (She still pooped on the toilet every time.)  She always stunk like urine, strong, nasty urine.  I just figured it was her.  A couple of weeks ago I started giving her some cranberry tincture I had on hand.  It seemed to help a bit with both the potty training and the smell, but I wasn't being extremely consistent about it.  Then Sunday she peed her pants at church and kept having to go to the bathroom.  I didn't think about it too much - she just does that sometimes.  Sunday afternoon she seemed uncomfortable, but nothing completely unusual.  I gave her some cranberry and went on my merry way.  She woke up Monday morning and cried when she had to pee, peed every few minutes, etc.  Classic signs.  Poor baby.  She's doing better today, but certainly not 100%.

Any advice?

***(Follow up)  I tried to take Liza in to the acute care clinic this morning, but it was packed.  I didn't have time to sit and wait around, so I came home planning to go back this afternoon/evening.  But she seems to be doing MUCH better!  Her urine doesn't smell and she isn't complaining and peeing nonstop.  I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.  If it is worse again in the morning, I will take her back tomorrow.  Oh, Mau, I ordered Uricare.  I have purchased Native Remedies before, but didn't think of it this time.  I might get it as a back up!  Thanks!

4 comments:

Thia said...

One of my daughters, at 6, dealt with an UTI. Honestly, I'd get her in to a dr and get the antibiotics. Even on those, it will take a few days for her to start to feel better and at this point, why prolong her pain? What you're doing already sounds good and I'd keep that up too with some supplements for her gut/counter the antibiotics.
Hope she feels better soon!

Maurisa said...

Tonya,

I would take her in. At this point it is likely too late for natural remedies to work, but get this and keep it on hand for next time:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=uti+clear&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9683641284628412436&sa=X&ei=xj_ETtuCG4L30gHAv-XfDg&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

I used it myself several years ago for reoccurring UTI and it works great. I haven't had another UTI since. It needs to be taken at the first sign of infection, though.

Poor little girl. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Sam said...

I hate those tests they do in the beginning...go with your heart...mother's instinct is the Holy Spirit most of the time.

TheZMom said...

UTIs lead to kidney problems. I have frequent UTI's and if i cant fix it at home I will go in. But normally I do not have pain with them until its way too late, and it has already given me a kidney infection. She could be like me, Id take her in. :( I hope she gets better.