Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reading

Joseph, our 3rd, is 6-1/2. He has been so reluctant to do any school work at all. Well, unless it's math - he does like to do math. But reading? No. We started phonics with him, he didn't get it, so I shelved it. He's the 3rd. As long as he's reading by the time he's 12, I'm fine! :-) Lately I've been thinking he's probably ready to try again, so I got out the phonics book and, sure enough, he's ready. Phew! Maybe he'll be reading by the time he's 7! :-) After looking over phonics, I pulled out the Bob books and let him read a couple of those. While he was sounding out some of the words, David was sitting on my lap. Every once in a while, he would sound out the next letter for Joseph. I pulled out the next Bob book, handed it to David and, guess what, he read it. Looks like I'll have one reading at 7 and one reading at 4!

I am so thankful for stuff like this. It is so easy to start feeling guilty for things our kids do not do well. And, conversely, so easy to start feeling proud for things our kids DO well. Things like this remind me that some of it has nothing to do with me at all! Some kids are ready to read at 7, some are ready to read at 4. Would I feel like less of a Mom if my baby walked at 18 months vs 9 months? Or like a better mom if the opposite is true? Reading is pretty much along the same lines. We need to wait until they are ready and then they will get it. Just funny that my boys - 2-1/2 years apart in age - are getting it at the same time. :-)

7 comments:

Lara said...

great prespective, i needed to read that:)

Bob and Claire said...

I think reading is like potty-training. It is sooo much easier when the child is motivated and ready for it. I have also had late readers and early readers (and late potty-trainers and early potty-trainers, LOL). Definitely good perspective--and something I wish I had paid attention to as a young mom! That would have saved me some stress! : ) So now I tell other young moms not to worry too much about stuff . . . but who knows if they actually listen, LOL.

lifebythehandful said...

Great post and so true!

Maurisa said...

That is truly such a great perspective. I love the parallels you drew. Very well said!

Oh, and I did see your good news about staying put. I just hadn't had time to comment. Congrats!

Christy said...

Surprise, surprise, I'm actually commenting. I love Bob Books, and what you said is so true. I heard that the third phonics program is the one that actually works, because by the time you get to the third one, they're finally ready. Better to just put it down for a while. Sometimes the younger ones surprise you too. My 3yo just wrote a word the other day out of nowhere. But I can't take the credit for it~ must have been Leap Frog. :-)
Christy

sam said...

so true-keep up the good work+wish you were moving back here.

Andrea Studt said...

so true, Tonya. I have seen this myself. I think everyone should have at least 3 kids to see some variations in human beings up close and personal! Truly humbling.

Andrea