Well, it's been a bit since I've posted. We started school 5 weeks ago, which is actually going pretty well. Abigail is extremely motivated, so is getting all her work done. I read some article about having your kids become independent learners and it mentioned this lady, http://www.urthemom.com/. I read her stuff, realized Abigail was already on that track, but this gave us a bit more structure. We broke down her work in 4 quarters, and then broke it down to how much she needs to get done each week. She's ahead!!! I just check her work every now and then and answer any questions (which is rare). We still do Bible and history together and I give her spelling tests and do writing with her. The rest is on her own. Rebekah is using the same system, but with more direction from me. I write down what she needs to get done each week. The work I chose for her this year seems to be a bit more labor intensive for me, but it's working. Both boys are learning to read and doing math - and loving it! My niece is still here and has been an immense help. We will miss her like crazy when she leaves.
Eric's job is insane. He's working at 2 bases and, as far as I know, is a division chief at each one. The jobs overlap a bit, and one isn't requiring too much of him, but he does an awful lot of driving between the bases (seems like he's at both bases every day, they're 30 minutes apart). He's not eating lunch, not drinking, not peeing until late afternoon way too many days. He made a comment the other day about the Air Force having high expectations of our family. I gave him a funny look and said, "you mean high expectations of YOU." He gave me a funny look and said, "um, that means you too." He is still making it home most days by 6 and is in a good mood, so it's ok. He did travel the last 3 weeks though (just a few days each week), which isn't really great. But we will survive.
My health is horrible these days. It seems I never recovered from moving here, having a baby, baby being sick for a while, one kid breaking his leg, having kidney stones ... This year I've had upper respiratory issues for, what feels like, months. Started back in March and I currently have strep throat. I've been struggling with allergies for at least 2 months too. I think I was pretty healthy in May and June, but having a hard time even remembering!!! Some days I'm ready to crawl in bed and never get back out again.
And yet life goes on ...
We are scheduled to leave town next week on a vacation. We've planned to take a trip to the Grand Canyon for months now. Scheduled the time, are borrowing a camper from some friends, have it all planned. This week I'm ready to just drive up into the mountains and camp for a week.
All this to say, can you please pray for us? I don't think I've ever felt such burnout in so many areas in my entire life. Odd, I am so content with where God has put us. Love homeschooling, love my 5 kids, love my husband, don't want to change this. BUT. I just wish I could take a couple months away from responsibility. Take a couple months and get extra sleep, eat healthy, exercise gently and mostly, spend tons of time reading His word and spending time in prayer.
And yet life goes on ...
***I wrote all this and then realized that I didn't even mention that Little Bit turned TWO last Saturday. She's all girl, so she got shoes, socks, tights, clothes, bracelets, a purse ... Very girly stuff. She's super cute and talks in full sentences nonstop. She is such a blessing!!
1 comment:
Do you remember a television show, "Out of This World"? It was a show about a girl who found out she was part alien and she had the supernatural power to stop time. I often wish I had this power and I could stop life from going on while I caught up on life or dinner made without someone needing something. I hope you get the refreshment you need from your vacation.
I actually came to your blog today looking for some direction, because I am already burned out on home school and I'm just three weeks in. I'm frustrated because what I want home school to look like and what it actually looks like are two different things. My problem is I can't actually define what I want it to look like. I feel like the expectations of the curriculum are too steep for our family, but I am so fearful of screwing my kids out of a good education. How did I forget from two months ago how hard this was?
Post a Comment